I just gave both of my dogs (Aslan and Blossom) a bath.
All three of us are now very clean and very awake and very relieved.
Each time I try this, I’m reminded that dog washing is a metaphor for life. Here are five life lessons I received during this morning’s “class”:
1. Life can get messy. Be prepared to get splashed. And then get over it.
2. Everything is relative. No matter how tough things look from my perspective, at least no one is trying to hold me still while they pour water on my head.
3. Avoid doing stupid things as often as possible. Washing stations and drying stations need to be separate – so your blow dryer won’t fall into your sink.
4. When the going seems toughest, keep going. At the risk of sounding like a greeting card creator (oh wait, I AM a greeting card creator– ha!), we can learn and benefit from trying times. Manoman, are my clean dogs ever beautiful! Once again, the challenge was worth it.
5. Eat a live frog first thing in the morning – nothing worse will happen all day. You can trust that there are three creatures in my home who are SO glad the best is yet to come!
So that’s what I’ve learned this morning – from a seemingly mundane chore.
What chores are your best teachers? And what have you learned lately from them?