I recently came across these Top 10 Creative Rules of Thumb from Chic Thompson:
- The best way to get great ideas is to get lots of ideas and throw the bad ones away.
- Create ideas that are 15 minutes ahead of their time…not light years ahead.
- Always look for a second right answer.
- If at first you don’t succeed, take a break.
- Write down your ideas before you forget them.
- If everyone says you are wrong, you’re one step ahead. If everyone laughs at you, you’re two steps ahead.
- The answer to your problem “pre-exists.” You need to ask the right question to reveal the answer.
- When you ask a dumb question, you get a smart answer.
- Never solve a problem from its original perspective.
- Visualize your problem as solved before solving it.
Which of these tips rings true for you ? And how do you stir your creativity?