One of my rituals for each new year is to choose a word to influence me for the year. My word for 2011 is EXPERIMENT. To support my EXPERIMENTAL focus, I commit to post the results of a new experiment each Sunday of this year.
no cooking or eating while watching TV;
no talking on the phone while doing ANYTHING else;
no surfing Facebook while fast forwarding through the recorded Idol results show;
no finishing Cheap Therapy work while watching recorded Letterman episodes;
no texting while in conversation with/company of anyone;
no checking e.mail or surfing the web in ANY way while in conversation with/company of anyone;
and no placing or receiving phone calls while in conversation with/company of anyone.
You get the point.
Since I don’t own a smart phone, I thought this would be easy. Not so much. I DID make it though.
My biggest realizations were that:
- I use TV as white noise too often (duh, did I remember NOTHING from last week?!);
- I can stop recording several of the shows I’ve been recording because when I actually WATCHED them – they suck;
- people are much more interesting when I give them my undivided attention;
- I made fewer mistakes when only doing one thing at a time;
- my priorities became clear;
- everything that HAD to be done got done;
- and I need to work on the Judge inside me because after just a week of NOT multi-tasking, I think YOU should ALL give it a try :).
What do ya say?
PS ~ now that I’ve written this blog, I’m off to enjoy a piece of homemade key lime pie WHILE WATCHING a show I recorded last night. Hey, I’m mindful, NOT maniacal.