One of my rituals for each new year is to choose a word to influence me for the year. My word for 2011 is EXPERIMENT. To support my EXPERIMENTAL focus, I commit to post the results of a new experiment each Sunday of this year.
My lifetime best friend is visiting for the week. So I simply paid attention to how it felt to share my home with another human.
If you’ve never lived alone, this experiment may seem like no big deal. I’ve spent the vast majority of my adult life living alone. So sharing my home ~ even with someone I dearly love, for more than a few days is always, well, worthy of my attention :).
Here’s what I noticed:
- I’m set in my ways.
- I’m grouchy when someone/anyone wakes me up.
- I really am cool with where ever anyone wants to put something away in my kitchen.
- I SO enjoy cooking for other people.
- I don’t just LIKE quiet – I require it.
- I feel no ownership about how clean/neat other people keep their bedrooms.
- I AM as much of a hermit as I say.
- And not too many things make my life feel better than starting the day to the smell of fresh coffee.
Where are you with the whole living alone adventure?